Are you concerned about the appearance of your teeth? Many factors can cause your teeth to become dull, stained, or discolored. Teeth whitening brightens and enhances the appearance of your teeth in as little as a single appointment at our office. While professional treatments can produce dramatic results when brightening your smile, it is not a permanent solution. At Gentle Dentistry, we offer in-office teeth whitening. Professional whitening is the fastest and most effective cosmetic treatment available.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
Multiple different factors can cause discoloration. The most common cause of tooth discoloration is the natural aging process. As you age, tooth enamel gets thinner, revealing the dentin underneath, which yellows with age. Poor dental hygiene is a significant cause of yellowing, like avoiding flossing or not brushing thoroughly enough. The amount of fluoride in your water and genetics can also be a factor.
The use of tobacco or drinking alcohol can increase your chances of gum disease and also cause your teeth to turn yellow. Eating acidic fruits or vegetables such as tomatoes, beets, blueberries, or raspberries can stain teeth. Drinking dark-colored wines or even coffee can contribute to tooth discoloration as well.
How Does Professional Teeth Whitening Work?
Dr. Goold or Dr. Evans will apply a hydrogen or carbamide peroxide gel solution to the surface of your teeth. The gel is activated with a special light. The bleach in the solution will break up the stains and make the color less concentrated, resulting in a much brighter white hue. Your smile will be noticeably brighter when you leave our office. This procedure usually takes about an hour. Contact our office to schedule a consultation with our incredible staff to whiten your smile today!
Keep that Smile Bright
After treatment, you don’t want your smile to revert to its dull appearance. There are a few best practices we recommend to prevent further tooth discoloration:
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking water, especially after meals, can help dislodge any food particles stuck between your teeth that may cause discoloration.
- Good dental hygiene routine. Be consistent, and remember to be thorough. Be sure to brush your teeth twice and floss at least once daily.
- Regular dentist visits. Schedule your routine cleanings every six months. Contact our office today to schedule your appointment!
- A healthy diet. Fill your diet with foods rich in fiber. Fiber strengthens enamel and prevents tooth discoloration. Eat plenty of leafy greens, vegetables, nuts, and cheese.
- Use a straw. Minimize contact with dark or bright-colored drinks. A straw can also help to prevent cavities!
Teeth whitening is a simple and easy process. We can give you a brighter, whiter smile at Gentle Dentistry in an hour. Feel more confident in your smile today! Schedule an appointment with our incredible staff by calling (435) 986-0699.